The St. Clement house was built in 1878 by Fritz Rosenbaum, an affluent manufacturer and importer of fine mirrors and glass who furnished the opulent homes of San Francisco’s ”Gilded Age”. The Rosenbaums made Riesling and Zinfandel in the cellar underneath their house. Over the years the property was owned by a number of colorful characters, most of whom made wine underneath the house. The St. Clement moniker was born in 1976 when William Casey, a local ophthalmologist, bought the house and built a 10,000 case stone winery behind it. The St. Clement name was a tribute to Casey’s ancestors, who helped found the state of Maryland. The cross that is part of the St. Clement logo can be found on the Maryland state flag.
Built on a legacy of highly respected wines produced in small quantities, St. Clement has nurtured long-term relationships with some of the best winegrowers in Napa Valley. With owned vineyards and grower relationships in Diamond Mountain, Howell Mountain, Mount Veeder, Rutherford and Spring Mountain, St. Clement sources from half of the Napa Valley’s 33 different soil series and 100 different soil variations. The result is a wonderful collaboration and a diverse palate of flavors and tannin structures available to Winemaker Danielle Cyrot, allowing her to create wines with exceptional depth and complexity.